What comes in your mind first when I say “Winter”? Yes! I got your answer…..it’s ”SNOWFALL”. Isn’t it? India welcome winter with the snowy landscapes, the greenery turns into white snow, and the chilly breeze ready to give you chilly winter vibes.
If you are planning to travel in December and experience the snowfall in India in December, then you are at right place. In this travel blog will take you to the winter ride where you can explore the place where you can experience snowfall in India in December.
Places to experience snowfall in India in December
If you want to experience snowfall in India, then Gulmarg, Kashmir would be the first place in your travel list. Gulmarg is paradise of Kashmir, where you can witness the snowfall and the landscaped looks like a snowy blanket. The temperature of Gulmarg in December ranges from 4° to -5° Celsius. In the winter wonderland, you can enjoy the various activities especially skiing which is famous in Gulmarg.
Activities to do in winters in Gulmarg
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Gulmarg Ski Resort is famous for skiing for both beginners and professional with the help of experts.
- Gondola Ride: The highest cable ride in the world which take you to Kongdori and Mount Apharwat where you can explore the snow clad mountains.
- Snowshoeing and Hiking: If you want to go for a peaceful journey where you can click photographs and enjoy the breath-taking snowy landscape, then plan snowshoeing and hiking at gulmarg.
- Ice Skating: Have you ever imagine the ice skating in the frozen lakes? If yes, then plan a trip to gulmarg to experience the ice skating and snowfall in India in December.
- Bird Watching: If you are nature lover and loves watching bird then Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve gives to memorizing experience.
Places to visit in Gulmarg
- Apharwat Peak: Breath-taking view of snow-capped Himalaya’s at an elevation of 4390 meters. The trekking to reach at the peak excite you and in your journey the snowy views mesmerized you.
- St. Mary’s Church: The historic St. Mary Church was built in the 20th century. You can experience the architecture of old era and the surrounding is splendid.
- Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve: If you are wildlife lover and enjoying the photography, then surely visit the Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve to enjoy the serene landscape and the birds.
- Ningle Nallah, Banibal Nag and Kausar Nag: The panoramic view from the top of these place mesmerized you, especially in winters when the snowfalls capped the valley.
How to reach Gulmarg
- Nearest Airport: Sheikh ul-Alam International Airport in Srinagar. From Airport you can take taxi to reach Gulmarg which is 50 kms. Away from Srinagar.
- Nearest Railway Station: Jammu Tawi Railway Station which is 290 km away from Srinagar. Take Taxi to reach Gulmarg either from the Railway Station or Srinagar and to reach Srinagar you can take local train or taxi.
- By Road: Gulmarg is well connected with Srinagar and you can taxi and enjoy the road journey from Srinagar to Gulmarg.
Auli is snuggled in the Garhwal Himalayas where you can experience the snowfall in winters. Auli is picturesque destination and travelers visit Auli in winters to witness snowfall in winters at an elevation of 2500 meters high and enjoy the thrilling experience, skiing.
Activities to do in Auli in winters
- Skiing in Auli: Auli is famous for the skiing in auli in winters. The valley covered with snow and both the beginners and experienced can enjoy the skiing. In winters, Auli organized National and International level skiing events and the people joined around the world.
- Cable Car Ride: Auli’s cable car ride is one of the highest and longest cable ride in India. You can enjoy the breath-taking view of snow-capped Garhwal Himalaya and the panoramic view of the valley, the dense forest & the landscape covered with snow.
- Gurso Bugyal Trek: The trekking in the dense forest, the water flows in between the trekking which is so pure that you can without even thinking at once. In between the forest the temple is situated which is surrounded with Trishul and the big bell in the midst of the dense forest. Going from the temple, the Nanda Devi Range and the flower valley is so beautiful that you can’t experience with words. Please carry raincoat while trekking.
- Nature Walk: If you are nature lover, then take a nature walk through dense forest covered with snow which is a peaceful escape for the nature lover.
Places to visit in Auli
- Artificial Lake: The artificial lake or we can say the man-made lake froze in winter which makes this place an attraction point for the tourist. The lake is surrounded with snowcapped mountains and peak trees, and in winters you can experience snowfall and both frozen lake in Auli.
- Narsingh Temple: A sacred temple dedicated to Lord Narsimha is in Joshimath. The temple is situated around the snowy mountains and the wood carvings is so adorable.
- Chattrakund: Chattrakund is a hidden lake surrounded in the forest and you can witness snowfall in winters. The lake froze in winters and the serene atmosphere gives you enchanting experience.
How to reach Auli
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun. The airport is around 286 kms away from auli, you can take taxi or bus to reach auli.
- Nearest Railway Station: Rishikesh Railway Station. From here you can take bus to reach Joshimath and from there you can take taxi to reach auli.
- By Road: You can take bus to reach Joshimath and from there take taxi to reach auli.
Manali’s Rohtang Pass, Himachal Pradesh
We all know Manali is a charming destination to witness snowfall in winters. But have you ever wondered the destination located at an elevation of 3979 meters surrounded with the snow-capped mountains? To experience the snowfall in India in December, plan a trip to Rohtang Pass which is en-route from the Manali and during the journey the surreal snowfall, the snowy blanket landscape and the trees gives picturesque look.
Activities to do in Rohtang Pass in winter
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Adventure lovers can enjoy the skiing and snowboarding in the snowy slopes of Rohtang Pass which gives memorable experience.
- Sledging and Tobogganing: You can enjoy the happiness of gliding down from the slopes which is filled which snow. The joy of sledging and tobogganing feels like you are enjoying your childhood.
- Snowmobile Rides: Snowmobile ride in the white landscape of rohtang and in between the ride the snowfall in Manali in December month gives you thrilling and chilling experience.
Places to Visit in & en-route to Rohtang Pass
- Rahala Falls: While en-route to Rohtang Pass, you will witness the Rahala Falls which is surrounded the snow-capped mountains freezes during winter in Manali which gives surreal look.
- Nehru Khud: During winters in Manali the Nehru Khund which is surrounded with scenic views freezes partially in the winters and the snowfall in winter gives chilling experience.
- Solang Valley: In between the Manali and Rohtang Pass, a snowy playground, Solang Valley attracts the tourists. At Solang Valley you can enjoy various activities like Zipline, Bungee Rocket, Zorbing Ball Ride, Skiing, Skating, Quad Biking and many more.
How to Reach Rohtang Pass
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport which is around 50km away from Manali. From there you can take taxi to reach Rohtang Pass.
- Nearest Railway Station: Joginder Railway Station. From here you can take bus to reach Manali and from there you can take taxi for Rohtang Pass.
- By Road: Manali is well connected from all the major stations and you can take bus to reach Manali. From Manali take taxi for Rohtang Pass.
Lachung a small village or we can say a hidden gem of Sikkim where you can experience snowfall in december. The landscape turns into white winter wonderland, the valley is in the lap of himalayas and the water turns into snow. During winters you can witness the snowfall, the wooden houses covered with snow, and the snow-capped mountains.
Activities to do in Lachung, Sikkim in winter
- Yumthang Valley Excursion: The valley is also kown as ‘Valley of Flowers” and in winters the snow covered the valley which attracts the tourist. You can enjoy various snow activities while enjoying the spectacular landscape.
- Hot Springs of Yumthang: Imagine taking a dip in the hot springs and from the window you can watch the snowfall. Isn’t it sounds great.
- Monastery Visits: Lachung’s Monastery is very famous and a visit is incomplete without discovering the snow covered serene and peaceful monastery.
- Lachung Gompa: The renowned monastery with colourful flags is in the lap of nature which turns snowy white in winters and gives panoramic view of the valley.
Places to Visit in Lachung
- Zero Point: If you love snowfall, then you can’t miss the snowfall in India in Lachung’s Zero Point. The Zero Point is situated at an high altitude and the road towards the zero point covered with snow, the oxygen level is bit low at zero point. You can visit without permit and the best part is the safety, Zero Point is surrounded with army personnel’s.
- Shingba Rhododedron Sanctuary: If you are nature lover and wanna experience the snow-covered dense forest, then Shingba Rhododedron is a perfect gateway to escape in the heart of forest.
How to Reach Lachung, Sikkim
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport, West Bengal. At the airport you can negotiate with the taxi drivers for Gangtok Sikkim and then proceed towards Lachung.
- Nearest Railway Station: New Jalpaiguri Railway Station in Siliguri. From here you can take taxi for Gangtok Sikkim and then proceed towards Lachung.
- By Road: Lachung is well connected with Gangtok and you can take taxi to reach Lachung while enjoying the breathtaking views.
Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
A remote destination in Arunachal Pradesh, Tawang is best place to experience the snowfall in India in december. Tawang is located in the northeastern himalayas and in winters you can witness the pristine snowfall, the snow capped rugged mountains and the serene landscapes.
Image Credit: Google
Activities to do in Tawang in winter
- Witness snowfall in India, Tawang: You can experience the snowfall in december in Tawang, the landscape seems like a blanket of snow. For snowlovers, Tawang is best place to experience snowfall.
- Explore Tawang Monastery: If you want to experience the rich culture of monasteries, then plan a visit at Tawang Monasytery which is surrounded with snow-capped mountain peaks and situated at high altitude.
Image Credit: Google
- Bum La Pass Adventure: The adventure trip at Bum La Pass is memorable where you will witness the snowfall at the boarder of India-China. Don’t miss the thrilling adventure and the snowy landscapes while enroute to the Bum La Pass Adventure.
Places to visit in Tawang
- Pankang Teng Tso Lake: In winters the lake gives you surreal natural snow beauty. The lake freezes and around the lake the mountains and the trees covered with snow which make it a perfect place to witness snowfall in India.
- Tawang War memorial: I can say visit at the memorial is essential, this is place where you understand the sacrifice of our brave soldier in the war of Indo-China in 1962 for the nation.
- Sela Pass Marvel: While your journey to Tawang, you will witness the majestic and breathtaking place covered with snow at an high altitude.
How to reach Tawang
- Nearest Airport: Salonibari Airport, Tezpur, Assam. From the airport you can take taxi or bus to reach Tawang and the majestic journey.
- Nearest Railway Station: Tezpur Railway Station, Assam. From here you can take taxi for Tawang.
- By Road: Tawang is well connected from Guwhati, Assam and you can travel with bus or taxi to reach Tawang. While on the journey enjoy the breathtaking views and make your trip memorable.
If you are reading this blog, then I know you are winter lover and want to visit the best places to experience snowfall in India. In this blog I had explained the Top 5 Best Places to witness snowfall in India. If you loved the article and want to know more such places, then mention it in the comment section.
Pack your bag and explore the unexplored places with Hema…