Gulmarg means “Meadow of flowers”, located in Pir Panjal Range of Jammu & Kashmir at an altitude of 2730 m above sea level. The surreal destination is surrounded by Himalayans which are covered in snow during winters, valley of flowers and forest offered a scenic view.
Gulmarg is a top destination for honeymooners and adventurous people to enjoy skiing and Gondola Ride, the world’s second highest ride. In this travel blog, will explore the places to stay in Gulmarg, places to visit in Gulmarg, happening places to eat in Gulmarg and many more.
Places to visit in Gulmarg
Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve
The reserve is developed in 180 kms and famous for flaura, fauna and exotic wild species like snow leopard. The protected reserve offers beautiful sights during the season of migration.
The lake is situated at a high altitude and offers adventurous snow activities. Trekking 13km from Gulmarg offers unforgettable views of the frozen lake in winter season.
Khilanmarg the most popular destination of Gulmarg is renowned as a miniature valley that offers various adventurous activities. Khilanmarg is perfect place to enjoy the beauty of Kashmir that can be enjoyed by walking, as vehicles are not allowed. If you don’t want to walk, hire pony and enjoy the unforgettable view.
The waterfall is in Tangmarg, Baramulla district, the tumbling waterfall in the mountains offers stunning views. Durung waterfall attracts visitors mainly in winters, the waterfall freezes which offers stunning view. Adventurous tourists enjoy ATV Ride in the Tangmarg.
Situated at an elevation of 4390 meters in the Pir Pranjal Range offered stunning views. The alpine trees in the peak look amazing and Apharwat Peak offers various adventure activities in both winter and summer. In winter, activities like skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling attract tourists. In summer, tourists enjoy trekking and the mesmerizing view from the top of the mountain.
The famous temple of Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati is known as Rani Temple, or Mohineshwar Shivalay. The temple is situated on a hill rock and devotees around the country visit temple for blessings.
A hidden gem of Gulmarg, famous for strawberry harvesting and elegant beauty. In Summer, the strawberries are ready for harvesting and tourists are allowed to take a tour of the valley. The Strawberry Valley is also famous in Bollywood industries and filmed for the movie.
Gulmarg Temperature and Weather
Gulmarg Temperature vary in different months and rise upto 29 degrees, but in winters the temperature drops -4 degrees. The Gulmarg Weather differs in summer and winter seasons, like
- Summer (May to September) – Ranges from 13 to 29 degrees
- Winter (November to February) – Gulmarg turns into winter wonderland and brings snowfall. The temperature drips to -4 degrees and even more during heavy snowfall.
When to Visit Gulmarg
Gulmarg offers a unique experience in every season, and it depends on your preference. If you are winter lover, then plan in between December to February and enjoy the snow activities. If you want a pleasant environment, then May to September is perfect to enjoy Gulmarg.
Things to do in Gulmarg
Gulmarg Gondola Ride
The second highest and second longest cable ride in a chair lift is a popular snow activity among tourists. The ride runs in 2 phases, in Phase I, it ferries people from Gulmarg Resort to Kongdoori Station, from there skiing is easily available. In Phase II, the ride connects Kongdoori Mountain to Apharwat Peak and from here the LOC is visible. Charges are mentioned below:
- Gulmarg Gondola Ride Price : Phase 1Return Pass: INR 740
- Phase 2
- One Way: INR 250
- Day Pass: INR 940
- Chair Lift
- Adult- INR 300
- Children below 11 years of age aren’t allowed
A thrilling adventure of 13km that offers scenic views and ATV Rides are available from Gulmarg to Kongdori. The ATV Operators assist in the off-road adventure of around 1.5 hrs. The self-driving option is available under supervision. The Charges of ATV Ride is around Rs. 4000/- per person.
Skiing in Gulmarg
Gulmarg is famous for skiing and available for both beginners and professionals. The snowfall is always around 14 meters, but this year Gulmarg hasn’t received snowfall. As per IMD, the snowfall can be witnessed in February 2024. Charges are mentioned below:
- Skii with 30 Minutes Training: INR 3000
- Snow Scooter: INR 3500
- Guide: INR 700
- Jacket and Boot Rent: INR 250 Per Person
Gulmarg Golf Course
The longest golf course in India is situated at an altitude of 8700 feet above sea level. The famous golf course hosts events, both national and international level. The course type is an 18-hole, par 72 golf course. Visitors are allowed to take their car to enjoy riding on the beautiful and longest golf course.
Sledge Ride in Gulmarg
A popular winter activity for all ages, including children to experience the stunning snow-capped view. Hire the sledges on rental basis from the operators and enjoy the ride which is available on hourly basis. The charges are approved by the tourism department:
- Rs. 350 for first hour of ride
- Rs. 250 for every subsequent hour
Gulmarg Snow Festival
A two-day long snow festival organized every year by the tourism department to attract visitors. The festival organizes snow adventure activities, cultural dance and music, and delicious traditional food. Check the date before planning.
Places to eat in Gulmarg
- Miasa Café: The stunning café located at the Hotel Hilltop and offers stunning views. The restaurant is designated as an area to enjoy DJ night with hot beverages.
- Glass Igloo Café: India’s first Glass Igloo Café was opened in Gulmarg, Baramulla district, offers a unique experience. The restaurant is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and offers breathtaking views.
- Gulmarg Biosphere Retreat: The unique restaurant offers a unique experience of glass dining surrounded by snow covered landscapes. The menu of the restaurant is delicious and offers the taste of Indian and International cuisines.
- The Cloves Restaurant: The restaurant offers a warm ambience in the snowy winter season with delicious food. The menu of Cloves Restaurant is unique and diversified too, with different cuisines of Kashmiri, Indian and International.
Gulmarg Hotels (Places to Stay in Gulmarg)
- The Khyber Himalayan Resort and Spa – Luxurious retreat with stunning snow-peaked mountains.
- Hotel Highlands Park – Showcased Heritage of Kashmir and British.
- Shaw Inn by Stay Pattern – Luxurious Hotel with restaurants, lounge and skiing facilities.
- Hotel Gulmarg Pine – Unique stay with a garden area
- The Pine Palace Resort – The 3 star accommodation in budgeted range
How to Reach Gulmarg
- Nearest Airport: Srinagar Airport which is only 56 kms away from Gulmarg.
- Nearest Railway Station: Jammu Tawai Railway Station which is 290kms from Gulmarg. Book a taxi to reach the destination and enjoy the stunning views while enroute to Gulmarg.
- By Road: The highways are well connected with the major cities and buses are available.
- Gulmarg to Pahalgam Distance: The distance between Gulmarg to Pahalgam is approximately 140 kms. By road the distance covered in 4 to 5 hrs and offers breath-taking views while enroute.
- Srinagar to Gulmarg Distance: The total distance from Srinagar to Gulmarg is 51 kms. Buses are available till Tangmarg Road and from there hire a taxi, or jeep to reach Gulmarg.
In this blog, we took you to the journey of Gulmarg, the places to visit, things or adventurous activities, places to stay & eat in Gulmarg. The snowfall in Gulmarg includes the temperature and weather. Now you have an idea of Gulmarg, now plan a trip.
Pack your bag and explore the unexplored places with Hema…